WHAT IS AODA?
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) applies to all public and private organizations who do business in Ontario, Canada, requiring websites and apps to be accessible by 2021. Recognizing the history of discrimination against persons with disabilities in Ontario, the purpose of this Act is to benefit all Ontarians by:
- Developing, implementing and enforcing aoda accessibility standards in order to achieve accessibility for Ontarians with disabilities with respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment, buildings, structures and premises on or before January 1, 2025.
- Providing for the involvement of persons with disabilities, the Government of Ontario and representatives of various industries and economic sectors in the development of the accessibility standards.
An estimated 1.85 million Ontario residents have a disability. That’s over 15% of the population (40% of people over age 65) and 1 in 7 people—which is expected to increase to 1 in 5 over the next two decades, as the population continues to age.
How will AODA compliance help us?
If you do business in Ontario, Canada, ensuring that your websites, intranets and other digital assets are fully compliant is not only the law, but also offers numerous benefits for your organization. Here are just a few ways you may benefit by designing with accessibility in mind and remediating existing compliance violations using Allyable’s solutions:
- Increased Sales – According to the Royal Bank of Canada, the 5.3 million Canadians with disabilities influence $25 billion in discretionary spending annually. By removing accessibility barriers to your digital assets, you may naturally capture more of this huge consumer market with a corresponding rise in revenues.
- Improved Online Performance – AODA compliance will boost your web pages’ SEO and overall results. Google, the #1 browser, ranks websites with accessibility features higher in its organic search, leading to more exposure and traffic.
- Enhanced User Experience – Research has shown that providing universally accessible digital assets and user interfaces positively impacts ALL users, not only those with disabilities. Which means visitors remain longer and bounces decrease accordingly.
- Competitive Advantage – With barely 2–5% of current websites meeting accessibility compliance standards, any organization who adheres to the AODA standards will stand head and shoulders above their competitors, in any industry.
- Legal Protection – Addressing AODA compliance issues—whether by remediating violations in your existing assets, or by building new assets with accessibility in mind from the ground up—reduces your risk and liability for potential lawsuits.
The Allyable solution meets AODA requirements and makes compliance fast, easy and affordable!
We provide the only 360° digital accessibility solution on the market, so you can address all of your AODA compliance needs, all in one place. Allyable’s full suite of state-of-the-art tools allow you to simply and quickly remediate existing issues and build with accessibility in mind, whether you are a developer, marketer, consultant, small business or large enterprise. Start for free today, then select the plan that best fits the requirements of your organization.