WHAT IS SECTION 508?
Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. § 794d), as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L. 105-220), refers to a law that requires United States agencies to make all of their information technology and related equipment accessible for everyone—regardless of whether or not they work for the federal government. Essentially, this means federal agencies (including their contractors and vendors) and any organizations receiving federal funding must develop, procure, maintain and use information and communications technology (ICT) that is accessible to people with disabilities. ICT is any equipment or system that is used to create, convert, duplicate or access information and data.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Internet and Intranet websites
- Software and operating systems
- User guides for software and tools
- Online training
- Remote access websites and tools
- PDF documents
- Tablet, laptop and desktop computers
How will 508 compliance help us?
If you are a U.S. federal agency, contractor, vendor, or funding recipient, ensuring that your websites, intranets and other digital assets are fully compliant is not only the law, but also offers numerous benefits for your organization. Here are just a few ways you may benefit by designing with accessibility in mind and remediating existing compliance violations using Allyable’s solutions:
- Increased Sales – There are 61 million+ people with disabilities in the U.S. Removing accessibility barriers to your digital assets will make your products or services more available to a full one-quarter of the population that normally experience challenges.
- Improved Online Performance – 508 compliance will boost your web pages’ SEO and overall results. Google, the #1 browser, ranks websites with accessibility features higher in its organic search, leading to more exposure and traffic.
- Enhanced User Experience – Research has shown that providing universally accessible digital assets and user interfaces positively impacts ALL users, not only those with disabilities. Which means visitors remain longer and bounces decrease accordingly.
- Competitive Advantage – With barely 2–5% of current websites meeting accessibility compliance standards, any organization who adheres to the 508 standards will stand head and shoulders above their competitors, in any industry.
- Legal Protection – Addressing 508 compliance issues—whether by remediating violations in your existing assets, or by building new assets with accessibility in mind from the ground up—reduces your risk and liability for potential lawsuits.
The Allyable solution meets Section 508 requirements and makes compliance fast, easy and affordable!
We provide the only 360° digital accessibility solution on the market, so you can address all of your 508 compliance needs, all in one place. Allyable’s full suite of state-of-the-art tools allow you to simply and quickly remediate existing issues and build with accessibility in mind, whether you are a developer, marketer, consultant, small business or large enterprise. Start for free today, then select the plan that best fits the requirements of your organization.
START TODAY AT NO CHARGE
digital world. Accessibility compliance can be overwhelming—that’s why
we’re here to help you provide the best experience for all of your
customers, every time.